Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Educating my functionally blind daughter

Functionally Blind.   That's what the report said from the Teacher of the Visually Impaired said.  Its hard every time I hear it.  Reading the report was hard. When everything was laid out the way it was really showed how serious her problem is.

Some key points were that Abby can still see pictures in books well but struggles to see text even while enlarged. She has to be at least a foot from someones face to see emotions. She still involved and does quite well with physical education class.

The vision teacher is going to be teaching Abby Braille.  While she can see print enlarged normally (even this isn't consistent because it depends on the circumstances ) she will never develop a true reading fluency  with just text.  She was in the magically stage of reading of almost getting it but not quite.  She can read a lot of words (and does a remarkable job with spelling)  but when it comes to blending a sentence much is lost to her when its enlarged. 

There are many people with LHON who don't learn Braille for many different reasons. I think the age of onset is key. Its a personal choice for many. I think Braille will be an important tool in her education and should open a lot of things up for her. 

Its hard because I have never done this before. There is no handbook "How to educatioin your child who loses her sight at 6" She is so young and at such an important part of her education.

 I believe Abby can do it. It will be her accomplishment. I believe she will have many.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She can do this! With the help of her family, she will have an amazing life!

Aunt Tricia

Anonymous said...

She can do this! With the help of her family, she will have an amazing life!

Aunt Tricia

paulette said...

With an amazing mother like you, she may break down barriers you can not even foresee. As your baby sister and my son and I being 'carriers' as well, I must say watching your race throughout this experience is both uplifting and inspiring. I KNOW abbywill have a great life filled with numerous success and accomplishments because she is a miraculous little girl with supportive parents. And I am proud of you. <3 auntie paulie